I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Day 27 - A Rocky Start

While we are nearing the end of the February challenge, I am just beginning my journey in watercolor.  It's actually not been a rocky start at all, the contrary in fact.. but this study was partially about one way of painting rocks in watercolor and that is the title that popped in my head, so, it is...  

This method of painting rocks is a neat trick that involves a credit card and timing, plus the proper amount of paint and water.  But once you know, you know.  And, while this was not the main painting we created during this particular class (it was just a study to practice rocks) it is actually one of my favorites from the class so far.  I love just about everything in it.. how the colors blended, the trees.. the rocks, of course, and the reflections.  The mountains in the background were actually put in in a different class when Mick was teaching us a method of painting distant, snow-covered mountains.  I had painted them and added a wash on the rest of the paper and then put the mountain practice aside.. A few weeks later, when he had us practicing rocks, I pulled out my mountain study and decided to use them as the backdrop for a rocky spit of land.. I'm glad I did!  

"A Rocky Start", watercolor on Arches rough paper, 8"x12", NFS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...