I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Happy New Year! And Day One of the January 2023 Painting Challenge!

Day 1 – Happy New Year everyone!! I’m kicking off 2023 with a challenge and I'll be painting and posting my progress every day throughout the month.  There will be a few themes I explore as I go along, but through it all, the artwork will be designed to bring you joy and make you smile.. January can be tough, but hopefully my paintings will help to ease the transitionšŸ˜Š

Today’s painting is titled “Simple Gifts” and is the spark of an idea for a new series I’ll be working on.. Some of you may be familiar with the traditional Shaker song with the same name - "Simple Gifts". It has long been one of my favorite songs and this painting ..with this little, Maryjane-wearing mouse, offering you a ripe, juicy berry... What better way to ring in the New Year than with a simple gift, a little thing, a tiny treasure to hopefully make you smile. I hope you have a wonderful 2023!



"Simple Gifts", oil on panel, 8"x8", click here for purchasing details



Here's some juicy details for you...
I love raspberries.. and polka dot socks. And Mary Janes.. :)





"Simple Gifts" is a Shaker song written and composed in 1848, generally attributed to Elder Joseph Brackett from Alfred Shaker Village. Music was an important part of the Shaker community and this song was both a spiritual song and a song to dance to.
While I'm not a Shaker, or a Quaker or even a Candle Stick Maker, I believe the message of simplicity as a way to love is something worth considering... and I like picturing the community coming together and doing a traditional dance to this tune. :)


Tis the gift to be simple
Tis the gift to be free
Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be
And when we find ourselves in the place just right
It will will be in the valley of love and delight.
 :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...