I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Day 23 - Maybe it's Neighbelline

Yes, I am one of those people who find satisfaction in a good pun.. and this one fits the bill.. 

I'm not sure if Maybelline, the cosmetic company, still uses the tag line "Maybe she's born with it... maybe it's Maybelline.." but, you can see where this pun came from :)  Made me laugh when I came across it and, well, frankly, all horses are beautiful creatures naturally, and white horses can be particularly stunning.. so, of course, this title was the one.

Titling my work:  Sometimes I am lucky and a title just comes to me as I'm painting the painting.  Other times, not so much.  When this happens, I will do some research on the animal or subject matter I am painting (which I do anyway) and as I read about it, a title often emerges. 

This is the companion painting to yesterday's half of a horse, "Horse sense".  I like to paint in twos, or threes (sometimes more..) because often one painting doesn't quite satisfy my desire to explore the subject.  With this one, I truly was wanting to hone my skills of painting a horse (not an easy animal to paint, I will admit) as well as experiment with this half of a horse composition.  Again, I am interested in the negative space around the horse, maybe not as much as, but in addition to the horse itself. :)

"Maybe It's Neighbelline", oil, 7"x7", click here for purchasing details


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...