Thanks for stopping to look, I hope you enjoy my artwork. Follow the links to my website, FB page and my Daily Paintworks store for even more! Thanks!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Day 10 of the 30 in 30 painting Challenge - "Istanbul, Sultanahmet Square"

The challenge of designing painting after painting on 4"x18" panels is more difficult than I thought it would be.  The severe vertical-ity of the composition is limiting - there are many times I see a composition I would love to explore, but it is square or a long horizontal...  But I am pretty determined that I will stick with the 4"x8" to the end of the 20 Glimpsed paintings...  Why? because I have found that even if I think I am bored with a subject or idea etc... I find that there is always something new to discover if I keep plugging away at it... Today's painting is the 6th most visited city in the world - Istanbul.. (bear in mind, I have come across several other sites that list the cities in a different order, or sometimes other cities completely) 
Another challenge of this Glimpsed series is trying to decide which scene I will use.. I mean, there are infinite views available on Street View, and often cities have posh shopping districts, slums and everything inbetween.  What to choose?  For Istanbul, I chose a Mosque as there are so many mosques in the city and it seemed an important feature.  It was what I was most attracted to. Other cities haven't been as clear.  Like New York for instance!

Istanbul, Sultanahmet Square, oil, 4"x18"
to purchase click here

1 comment:

  1. I love the challenge you have created for yourself. What a great idea. :) This is one of my favourites. With the Eiffel Tower a close second.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...