I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Day 19 - Off the Clock

I am not a proponent of smoking... even though I had the nasty habit years ago... But this young lady seemed the perfect subject for me to experiment with some abstraction.  I tried the faceless approach a few paintings back (see here) and kind of liked the results.  I thought I'd try it again here.  Again, I 'kind of'' like the results.  This painting turned out to be more of what I don't want to do again as opposed to what I would like to try again (make sense?)  In other words, I'm not totally satisfied with the results of this one.  Although, the more I look at it, the more about it I see that I like.  The most exciting part of this painting is the background to me.  I brushed and smeared (with a palette knife) and scraped (with a paint scraper) and the slapped some more paint on and I am digging the layered effect going on.  I also like the muted neutrals I used in this one.  I need to learn how to use my grays more effectively.  The figure herself, I feel is a bit too formal and, well, just not lively enough.  Anyway, here she is, taking a break...  I will wager, however, that this painting will turn out to be someone else's favorite, as it always seems to be the paintings I don't care for as much are someone else's favorite!

Off the Clock, oil, 11"x14"
to purchase, please click here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...