I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Day 18 - Janies Frog

Don't have too much time to post now and will elaborate later... Todays painting in the 30 in 30 challenge is a frog  that my aunt in law sent a pic of last night.  Love this guy!  Thanks Janie!

Update... a word about photographing my artwork-
I posted the bottom image last night and had to do it quickly as I needed to leave for work.  Consequently, I snapped a picture in my studio under my studio lights, which happen to be LED daylight bulbs.  I knew then that the colors weren't quite right and I would have to re-take the picture today outside.  Artwork is best photographed in natural light. That being said, it is not always easy finding the perfect spot with just the right light.  Sometimes the light is dappled by shadows. Direct sunlight is too harsh.  Shade sometimes alters the color of the painting by what ever is causing the shade (i.e. a green tree).  I have found the the perfect spot to photograph my paintings is in a west facing corner of my house that has a white wall and white gravel on the ground.  But, as I found this morning, it also is best in the late afternoon... Although the colors are correct in the top photo this one shows quite a bit of glare, which I couldn't seem to avoid, no matter how I turned my painting.  Yes, the painting is still wet, but in the late afternoon, it is as if there is a sweet spot of perfect lighting to photograph my paintings.  Maybe I'll take another one later today and post that to compare!

Janie's Frog, oil on panel, 6"x6",
to purchase, please click here
Photographed in natural light


Janie's Frog, photographed under LED lighting


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...