I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Day 5 of the 30 in 30 - Under Cover

5 days into this challenge and my mind is ticking away with new ideas.  I set out to explore painting techniques and mediums in this painting, and believe it or not, the subject matter was a bit secondary.  I did want to paint another animal stacker and, the umbrella is, in my mind, the most important aspect of the subject, hence the title... but really, I was super concerned with getting a soft appearance while staying loose, playing with a subtle color palette and again trying out a Zinsser under painting. So far, the challenge has been a lot of fun because of all the experimentation. :) It is also interesting to note how difficult it is to not paint in the style I usually paint in!  I generally paint alla prima, wet into wet with very loose strokes and with paint that stays workable for the duration of my painting session.  This new style I'm experimenting with is more of a dry brush technique, applying many thin layers of pigment to achieve a softer more atmospheric effect.  Very different and definitely a challenge..   And while the stacked animal subject was seemingly secondary as I grappled with technique, I loved painting each one of these critters.  The horse especially was a joy to work on as I love his graceful gesture.

Under Cover, 11"x14", Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...