I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Day 21 - Hamming it Up

 Its day 21 and today's painting features a fuzzy syrian hamster, hamming it up :) 

Now, I'm not a rodent aficionado, but from what I have seen, I think syrian, long-haired hamsters are some of the stinking cutest little dudes on the planet.. their little faces look like tiny teddy bears and their fuzzy bodies almost don't look real.. 

Beware though!  They may only be cute from a distance..  After I painted this guy, my daughter was admiring the paintings, but then went on to remind me of different long-haired hamsters she has known over the years, and she reminded me that they did not have particularly sweet temperaments!  Years ago, she worked in a pet store that sold different breeds of hamsters and she relayed the story that every time she would walk by their tanks, they would, well, stand up and hiss at her!  She wasn't terribly fond of handling them, as you'd expect.  And, I believe it was in 3rd or 4th grade, her class had a class pet.. and it was a long-haired hamster. Each student had the opportunity to take it home for a week to care for it, and when Meilea brought him home, he bit her. 

Oh well.. I still think they are stinking cute, even if they have a stinker of a personality :) And I promise, this guy won't bite you! :)



"Hamming It Up", oil, 8"x8", click here to purchase


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...