I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, January 16, 2023

Day 16 - Panda Cake

 You ever wake up on Monday and feel like you need another weekend?  Ok, maybe the operative question would be, do you ever Not feel this way? :😂 It sure seems like the panda in today's painting is feeling this way.. or maybe she just really loves cupcakes.. Either way, I think she's happy where she landed..

I designed this painting awhile back and when I did, I considered painting it really big (big for me anyway.. something like 24"x24"..) I thought it would be interesting to see how a whimsical design like this would translate on the big scale.. 

But I rarely paint that big anymore.  The most common sizes I paint on are 8"x8" up to 11"x14" and sizes in-between.. so I him-hawed around about it and let it sit on the back burner.. and every time I'd look at the design I'd think.. I just want to paint it small..  And so, I did :) This little gem measures in at 8"x8" and she was just a joy to paint.  

I like painting smaller because I really like being able to finish a painting in one day.  There are many things that interrupt painting during a day, but if I paint small enough, I can always make sure can finish what I start. There are several reasons for this, but the 2 that stand out to me as the most important are: I get bored if I have to work on a painting for too long.. and then I get fussy, and then I lose the spontaneity of it. So keeping it at one day, I can stay interested and keep the painting feeling fresh.  Secondly, I prefer to work wet into wet - meaning I want my painting to be just as wet at the end of my painting session as it was at the beginning. This also enables the sense of spontaneity that I prefer.  So, that is why this little panda ended up a small one. 

"Panda Cake", oil, 8"x8", to purchase click here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...