I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, August 24, 2020

Day 23 of the 30 in 30 - Tyger Tyger

An American cartoonist once said that Van Gogh would have sold more than one painting if he'd have put tigers in them (the internet attributes this strange statement to Bill Watterson)

I don't know about the wisdom of this and I'm sure I don't know why Bill said that. I guess I'd have to hear it in context.  I do find it utterly amazing though that Van Gogh only sold one painting during his life time.  According to the website Van Gogh gallery, the rest of Van Gogh's more than 900 paintings were not sold or made famous until after his death.

This painting, however, is not at all about Van Gogh, but... knowing the above fact instills solemn gratitude in me. I am grateful for every sale of my artwork, and thankful for all of the loving support I receive because I know that being true to your dream can be a lonely affair...

Anyway, THIS painting was partially about my recent obsession with White on White. It is challenging to paint images that read well that are also composed of  many similar values.  At least it is for me.  And its the challenge that keeps me coming back for more...

I was also specifically inspired to paint a tiger because the poem "The Tyger" by William Blake has come into my consciousness several times in the past few weeks... two very different books I recently finished.. both coincidentally and prominently featuring Tyger Tyger in the protagonist's thoughts and a random reading on the internet that led me to another reference to this poem...  And it got me thinking about Tygers and what Blake was talking about. In it he ponders creation.. and the creator... the question he posed in prose is, can a God who created something as fearsome and beautiful as a tiger also have created the lamb?

And what about teapots and corvidaes?  I have not the answer.. just the painting... :) Please see below for the entire poem. 

Tyger Tyger, Oil, 10"x10", Click here to purchase

The Tyger

 - 1757-1827

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...