I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Day 22 of the 30 in 30 - Chicka Chicka Red Balloon

Good Sunday morning.  Day 22’s painting, titled "Chicka Chicka Red Balloon" is another take on the Red Balloon and an abstract background, with a twist...  When this idea popped into my head it was one of those that I almost pushed away thinking it was dumb.  A bird with a balloon tied around it’s middle... what? Here is how the conversation went in my head...

Ooohhh... a red balloon and a bird! 

No good. most birds fly all on their own...  Why and when would a bird ever need balloon assisted flight? This would never happen... 

But... when has the impossible stopped me?  

Yes, but what about all of the poor birds that literally get tied up in balloons that people release accidentally or on purpose..this is not good at all...don't paint this...

But then I thought, what if a bird purposely had the balloon around his waist?  I don't know.. maybe it was at a party and some other bird dared him to do it?  Or, maybe it was minding it's own business and found someone's red balloon and kindly was taking it back to them? Other scenarios vaguely passed through my head...still not entirely convinced, I then thought, I need to paint something, I should just do it... painting a painting a day requires flexibility and sometimes going out on a limb.

If you read my blog post about being open to the thoughts and images your brain produces and not censoring them, you will wonder, Why were you censoring yourself, Karen?  Truth is, I slip up sometimes and let negative Nelly talk.  If I'm lucky, my positive Patty poses convincing arguments and wins.  I was lucky this time and, I painted it.. I'm quite glad I did. After finishing it, I found myself just staring at, lost in some kind of feeling that I can't describe (ever have one of those?)   I still don't exactly know what to think of it, but the best way to describe it is it has a tension in the imagery.. a push and a simultaneous pull..  Is the bird flying, controlling the balloon? Or is the balloon pulling up, controlling the bird?  And, for whatever reason, I'm particularly happy with how the balloon came out :)


Chicka Chicka Red Balloon, oil, 11"x14", click here to purchase



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...