I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Preparing for a new project

During the months of May and June, I don't have artwork in any major shows.  I am using this time to prepare for July, when I will have 2 important shows for me plus a juried exhibition I am entering.  Much of my artwork is based on photo and digital references so today I am looking through photos and doing a bit of research for one project I am working on.  It is a series of 4 larger paintings, figurative and narrative in nature.   I am often asked where I get my reference images from.

Truthfully there are many places, but a few of my favorite sources are: My own camera and cell phone... if you know me, you know I am always looking for and snapping reference pics.  Great reference photos can be taken just about anywhere;

Morguefile, an online royalty free image site.   I believe it is affiliated with Getty images, but all of the images on Morguefile are searchable, free and open to use however you like!

Lastly, Google street view.  Yes, you heard me correctly!  I am always amazed at what I find while wandering the globe in street view mode and many of my paintings have had a street view image incorporated in some way.

As a point of interest, while wandering around Berlin, Germany today (a city known for its street art, which I am fascinated by...) I found this little gem!  I don't know how yet, but this will be in a painting someday. :)


Berlin Astronaut street art, Mariannenstrabe, Berlin,
Google streetview screenshot


This is a painting I painted last year that uses imagery from Prague...  Titled "Moravska" this one sold in March.


This is the image I used as reference.



Thanks for reading!  Hope you enjoyed!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...