I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Day 8 - Five Lost at Sea

This painting was inspired by yesterday's painting of the duck in the bowl-turned sail boat.. I decided to take it a little more literally and paint the chickadees in a more boat like bowl in an ocean like setting.. :) I am loving this concept and have a few more in store..

I started this composition by deciding the color scheme and what animals I wanted in the bowl.. I am enjoying the more muted palette lately so went with generally a muted but saturated triad (yellow, red, blue).  I also began with just 4 chickadees but it just wasn't right.. this story needed a hearty bunch of these fellas to complete the tale plus the design rule of thumb to try to use odd numbers of things in a composition was niggling away at me. So, I added another and felt better about things... 

my question is why are the chickadees in a boat, and are they really lost?


5 Lost at Sea, oil, 9"x12", purchasing details can be found here



The original design of 4 Chickadees in a bowl -  and also, before I added leaves.. See?  Not as good..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...