I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Day 25 of the 30 in 30 challenge - Bird Bath

So this is another entry into my mini series of Visual idioms... I guess 'Bird Bath' is a kind of idiom..?Coming up with titles an be difficult. Sometimes more difficult than doing the painting itself!  But with this painting, as well as 2 others I recently did (Duck Tape and Rabbit Ears) the title came first.  Then I had to decide what kind of bird and what kind of bath... 

The bath was a no brainer.  I've painted claw foot tubs before and they are a lot of fun.. They come in all kinds of colors and have the best lines.  The bird took a bit more thinking.  I first looked up "what are the biggest birds in the world?".  I wanted a big guy, I knew.  I looked at ostriches, cassowaries (blue heads...), rheas and turkeys.. None of them quite worked.  In searching, I started to come across pelicans and remembered another pelican I had once painted.  The pelican I had painted previously had actually befriended a woman who lived on a house boat.  The story goes that she came across him and I think he was injured.  She cared for him and then come time for him to migrate, he did.  She didn't know if she would ever see him again.  Lo and behold, the following season, the pelican came back to her.  As far as I know, he comes back every season and hangs out on her house boat with her.  I love that so much.. So the decision was made.  Time to paint another pelican.  

As an aside, the nautical flag is the flag that symbolizes Charlie (C) and also means "Yes".  Always good to include a bit of the positive, I thought, and, maybe it's just me, but this pelican could definitely pass for a Charlie. :)

Bird Bath, Oil, 10"x10", click here to purchase


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...