I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, October 9, 2017

Relatively Essential Oil Painting Supplies


Here's my list of the top 12 or so things I currently wouldn't want to do without in my studio.  Most of the things are pretty standard fare, but for the uninitiated and beginning oil painter, all of the supplies out there can seem daunting.  I have tried to keep my supplies at a minimum and the following list gives what I consider the essentials for painting successful paintings in comfort and ease.

 
"The Sentry", Oil, click here to purchase


Paint:  I prefer Gamblin artist grade oil color (but have other brands in my box too) and typically use a limited palette of 5 colors:  Alizarin Crimson, Cad. Red Med., Cad. Yellow lt and Ultra Marine Blue.  In addition, I use Titanium White.  With these 5 colors and white, you can mix almost any color you can think of, including chromatic Black,

Medium:  I make my own medium from 2 parts Linseed oil, 1 part Gamsol (an odorless solvent) and 1 part stand oil

Substrate:  I paint mostly on wooden panels that I purchase ‘raw’.  They require sealing, which I do with several coats of a sealant called GAC 100 (put out by Golden) and several more coats of white gesso. Sometimes I stain my panels a color before I sketch on them.

Brushes:  My favorite brush is the Blick Masterstroke Interlocking Bristle Brush. I prefer flats, sizes 3, 4, 6, and 8, but also use filberts from time to time.  I also really like Silver Bristlon Flats & filberts and find a small fan brush to be indespensible.

Assorted palette knives for mixing and painting, scrapers, a kemper clay shaping tool that I sign most of my paintings with plus ample paper towels or rags.

Easle:  I have acquired quite a few easels in my time as an artist. They all serve different purposes and needs and I can’t say I have a favorite. 

Palette:  I prefer a glass palette that has been painted a neutral gray on the back. I have made all of my glass palettes inexpensively from spare glass I had.

Poster Putty:  also known as museum putty or picture mounting putty.  I can’t tell you how many uses I have found for this stuff but I use it daily for something in my studio!

Tablet:  Sounds funny, but I use my Ipad and my Samsun S10 all the time for designing compositions and to display my reference photo as I am painting.

Apps: Any photo editing app that has basic editing capabilities such as cropping, color adjustments, brightness/contrast are very important to quickly adjust your reference photos. Some of my favorites are PicShop Pro, Photopad, and pic collage. I also use Photoshop on my laptop for more complex compositions.

Good lighting:  I have an overhead light, and two clip lights that illuminate my panels from behind me.  They all have LED bulbs that have a CCT of 5500 K. I am also fortunate to have a studio space with a large North facing picture window.


Apron:  This is also going to sound funny, but maybe some of you can relate.  I must put on my artist apron before I begin to paint.  It somehow puts me in the right frame of mind, perhaps because then I don’t have to spend any time thinking or worrying about getting paint on my clothes.  I remind myself of Mr. Rogers and how he had to change his shoes and sweater at the beginning of every episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...