I am an oil painter living in S.E. Pennsylvania. Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, January 11, 2016

11 - Zebra, Elephant, Bug

This is a painting I am entering into Berks Art Council's contest called "Fast Lane Art".  It is a cool contest that, if your artwork wins, they blow it up to the size of a billboard and display it somewhere along a major highway for awhile... Very awesome!  I designed this just yesterday... the image just popped into my head and from what I could tell, it was passable.... :)  Hope the judges think it will look good as a billboard!
There are several things going into this design.  One main thing is the combination of my Stripey paintings and my impressionistic realist paintings.  This is a first for me.  It was only possible to complete today, because I painted the Stripey portion mostly in acrylic paint, which dries fast.  After that, I took a break to eat lunch and to make sure it was dry, then went back up and painted the animals (the bug is very animal-like to me...) Any touch up the stripes needed I was able to achieve with oil since the rule is you can paint oil over acrylic, but not the other way around.  I am quite happy with the results and I think I will definitely be experimenting with this idea!

Zebra, Elephant, Bug, oil and acrylic, 7" x 20",
not for sale currently

One other thing worth mentioning is that the colors of the stripes are from the Pantone 2016 Spring Palette as seen below... just for fun....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...